What your view of sports and life would be if you had too many concussions
1) Stick a Fork in ‘Em… The Philadelphia
Eagles Turkeys are Done
Just by taking the Sgt. Joe Friday approach (“Just the facts”), one can see it is time to blow up this thing in Philadelphia. The Michael Vick thing was a mistake, DeSean Jackson is a cancer, and the whole “Dream Team” thing was an unmitigated disaster. It’s time to clean house from the general manager on down and start over.
2) Conference Championship Games are Meaningless
Name one thing that would have changed had Georgia beaten LSU? The BCS championship game was decided two weeks ago. The outcome of the Michigan State/Wisconsin game would have only re-arranged a few deck chairs on the BCS cruise ship…Wiscy was in the BCS no matter what, and Sparty would simply have taken Michigan’s place in the field; with Wisconsin going to the Sugar Bowl. Remember, the BCS is more an exercise about conference affiliation and who will travel well. Keeping that in consideration, the fun question becomes what would the BCS have done had Penn State been the 2-loss Big Ten team rather Michigan?
Not to mention, the most exciting thing that happens in most of them is that silly halftime challenge where some guy from the stands tosses a football into a giant can for some sort of prize. Yawn.
3) Instant Replay Still Solves Nothing
Today’s example of the uselessness of instant replay came from the SEC Championship game when Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu apparently flipped the ball to the official before he has actually scored.
Now, instant replay caught this, but the officials charged with reviewing the replay completely missed it. In fact, nobody caught it except the announcers doing the game, and Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson didn’t catch this until at least five plays later when it was a completely moot point. This is the perfect example of one of my biggest beefs with instant replay as an officiating tool. The supposition is that replay erases mistakes; it very obviously does not.
4) Updated Coaches Death Watch
5) Finally, A Minnesota Viking Fan I Can Relate To…
Honestly, I need to double-fist it to get through a Viking game as well…
Somehow we’re getting closer to taking Tony Sparano off this list.
1. If only it was that simple in Philly. Everyone will be back except for perhaps the designated scapegoat, Juan Castillo. 2. I always root for the Dr. Pepper football-tossing contestants to hit the “network MC” with the microphone instead of hurling it through the hole. 3. 100% Agree – Instant replay solves nothing. 4. Andy Reid has to be back. He has promised to do a better job of getting guys in position to be successful. It all starts with him. 5. Go Vikes, Go!
Philly Turkeys, lol. Love it, too funny!
DeSean Jackson could be the grill man at the next home game, he could be called the starting grill man for the tail gate partying!
NIce post although I totally disagree with what you said about Conference Championship games:
1. SEC Championship win by Georgia would put them in a BCS Bowl.
2. The winner of Wisconsin/MSU went to the Rose Bowl. If MSU won, Wisconsin WOULD NOT make a BCS bowl because they were not in the top 14, and MSU would be in the Rose Bowl, It didn’t just “re-arrange a few deck chairs on the BCS cruise ship.”
Other than that, good job I always love these posts.
1. Eagles? Who cares? Unfortunately, Reid will likely take the fall for this even though I’m not sure how much is his fault.
2. Not only are conference championship games meaningless, most bowl games are as well. Aside from Bama-LSU, is there a single, post-season game out there worth watching?
3. Dear instant replay fans, if you think that’s bad, wait until you see how badly Major League Baseball screws it up.
4. Of the remaining victims, my vote is that Turner gets the axe next.
and 5, well. I was pretty much stumbling around RayJay this Sunday afternoon, but at least I was wearing my teams colors.
On the LSU TD, I actually wondered that on my initial watch of the play. Meanwhile, love the scratch off on the coaches watch list.